Many fish contain valuable nutrients that can prevent serious medical problems and improve your overall wellbeing. However, it is best to minimize exposure to toxic contaminants by only eating the healthiest types of fish:
1. Oysters from farms provide a healthy option that helps people boost their zinc intake. Be sure to keep them in paper rather than plastic bags.
2. Although tuna often contains excessive amounts of mercury, albacore tuna is fairly safe if caught with a pole. It is usually not available in supermarkets but may be ordered on the Internet.
Alaskan Wild Salmon
3. Alaskan wild salmon provides beneficial omega-3 acids and contains less saturated fat than equivalent farm fish. It enhances brain and heart health. Many major retailers sell this kind of salmon.
4. Rainbow trout from fish farms are delicious and can be used in a wide range of recipes. They are healthy yet relatively inexpensive and easy to find.
5. Wild sardines from the Pacific Ocean are great in salads and sandwiches. Some retailers sell them with a wide variety of toppings, such as ketchup, garlic, olive oil and mustard.
6. Longfin squid is healthiest if it was caught wild in the Atlantic Ocean. It supplies plenty of vitamin B and omega-3 acids. Consider sauted calamari for a healthy meal option.
7. Farm-raised mussels deliver substantial amounts of zinc and iron, so they can help prevent anemia. They are available in more stores than some of the above-mentioned options.
Wild Dungeness Crab
8. Wild dungeness crabs from the west coast contain fewer pollutants than king or blue crabs. They can be made into tasty crab salads or cakes.
9. It is best to purchase barramundi farmed in the United States. This fish is sustainably raised. You can grill or bake it and enhance the taste with lemon pepper.
Farm-Raised Arctic Char
10. Farm-raised arctic char is another sustainably farmed fish containing relatively few contaminants. It tastes somewhat like trout and may be used in a wide range of meals.
Even when you buy the healthiest types of fish, keep in mind that cooking methods and toppings have a major impact on nutrition.
Please follow A Healthy Squeeze for further helpful information on eating wisely.